This project runs over five years (from 2017 to 2021) and includes six themes.
During this period, hospitals will attend training and education sessions, determine measurements to ensure the follow-up of their projects and to assess their progress, will take action and share the results with the other participants, identify and promote good practices for dissemination to the sector.
The six themes are based on the program are based on the World Health Organisation's Patient Safety Solutions (WHO): Communication in the change of service providers, management of high-risk-medication, patient identification, Infection prevention and control, Safe surgery and violence prevention.
The work on the six chosen themes will be in five phases.
- Phase 1 consisted of a commitment between participating institutions and PAQS.
- In a second phase, participants were invited to follow a basic training in the form of an e-learning.
- In phase 3 the measurements, which are to be carried out during the entire project, were determined. The institutions were invited to reflect together on the most appropriate measurements and on the collection, analysis and follow-up procedures of these indicators.
- In the penultimate phase the participants work together in the form of collaboratives and for each of the actions undertaken they use a development and analysis grid based on the clinical Excellence Framework for patient safety developed by Franke and the IHI. The elements of this grid can be found in the outer circle of the figure.
- Phase 5 will be the analysis of the results achieved by the institutions.